Advice on pride- that sums up the brilliant sermon at Island ECC today but that’s not it. It’s one of those sermons that smack you in the face and leave you feeling empty. A good sense of empty. A reminder that you are not all that you think you are.
No matter how humble we might think we are, there is always going to be that little bit of pride in us. It’s part of our feelings.. The need to feel better than others. Unfortunately we don’t always have someone telling us to stop when we are being prideful, and that makes is ten times harder to control.
C.S Lewis once said: “pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man.” He also said “lust will make a man sleep with a woman because he wants to sleep with the woman. Pride on the other hand will make a man sleep with a woman because then he can go and boast about it.”
It’s quite hard for me to summarize everything from the sermon as well as my thoughts. Therefore, I will write down the verses and quotes I took down today as a reminder to myself and those who have taken the time to read this post.
– If all pride was removed.. Thats heaven isn’t it?
– Pride goes before obstruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. (Proverbs 16:18)
– When pride comes, then comes dishonor. But with the humble is wisdom. (Proverbs 11:2)
– Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice. (Proverbs 13:10) do you take advice well?
– Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud. (Proverbs 16:19)
– You can’t be an arrogant AND Godly person.
– The fear of the LORD is the instruction for wisdom, And before honor comes humility. (Proverbs 15:33)
– Choose to find glory, that is only found among the humble.
– Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” ( 1 Peter 5.5b)
– Choose to live in the security of having only one judge.
– I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscious is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. (1 Cor 4:3-4)
– it’s a requirement to be humble if you’d like to know God’s full honor.
– humility is required to receive God’s gift.
– Pride is one of the biggest stumbling blocks for non Christians and Christians alike.
– Don’t hold over your own self worth to the opinion of others. It’s not worth it.
– Fixation of self is the essence of pride.
– Live for an audience of ONE.
If you are feeling like that is a lot to take in at the moment, that’s because it is. I, myself, is still trying to pray through it and ask God to speak to me, to humble my heart because I know there are things in life at the moment I am unhappy about because of my pridefulness.
I hope this encourages you today in one way or another. Till next time!